Skip to main content

Some Dreams Should Not Come True



I  got down from the bus and made my way on the main road to the hospital. Sun had already shut down his orange shine. Lighting on the street was only by the street light of the city. The fragrance of street food approached my nose. My empty stomach was giving a knock, but I took my mind off from the torture of stomach. I wanted to find that one hospital first in that metro city, Mumbai. She needed me, and I was already too late. It tried to reach her as soon as possible, but things weren’t that easy in anyone’s life. I used all of my energy to reach her. I wished to be with her; she desired me. She needed me most during that hard time, and I was still some distance away from her. My beloved Suman was there in the hospital, might be because of me.

Mostly Suman and I used to sit on the table facing each other in the canteen. To bunk lectures and sit with your beloved in the canteen is the most beautiful, most relic moments of college days. However, Suman and I were not a couple. We were friends, best friends. Actually more than friends. Yes, but we had not expressed yet.

“I Love You,” unexpected but gorgeous three words from a stunning girl in cute, crazy and little loud tone words from Suman. I was shocked and surprised like time had stopped and I was just looking at her with wide opened eyes.

“I said, I Love You. You idiot. Now say something… hello…,” Suman waved her hand in front of my eyes and took out me from divine shock.

“How... means... you... love... suddenly...,” she helped to stop me and explained, “You will be an idiot for a lifetime.” she turned my laptop screen to me. WhatsApp chat with one of my friend was on the screen and subject of the chat was my love for Suman. Yes, I was dying to tell her those few words. I was dying to express my feelings. I had shared those things with one of my friends. When I came out from all chapters in my mind, I stood up. She stood with wet eyes. We were childhood friends, and now, we were more than even best friends. I hugged her and whispered, “I Love you too.”

All those marvelous memories of us shorten my way to the hospital. As I reached the place, I was looking for her. My memories, graceful memories automatically got stopped in hurdles of finding her in the hospital. We had built those beautiful memories five years ago.

Now, I was in the hospital. I checked room number from the receptionist and ran towards ICU. I halted my footsteps when I found her inside the Intensive Care Unit. The meaning of Acronym ICU is enough to put the happiest person into a dreadful shock. I did not remember if I had come in the hospital before. I was standing in front of ICU door, and the girl whom I loved was there inside.

I was so scared; even not any worst nightmare had made me scared like that. I made my glance inside; she was resting unconsciously on the bed. She was breathing with the help of oxygen cylinder extension. Doctors were busy to fix her broken leg with bandages. White tapes surrounded her cute nose and scars on her face. My sweetheart, my Suman was going through a lot.
         
       “Get out from here; she doesn't need you,” those were words from her dad. He was coming towards ICU with some medicine in his hand. He hated me. According to him, I was not perfect for her daughter because I was earning less than her daughter. I did not know if there was any other reason for his hate for me. Before one year, Suman and I broke up because her family was forcing her to get married. I needed some time to be a perfect one in front of her father. We had the option to run away to get married and live together, but it wasn’t on our to-do list. We wouldn’t marry against our family at all. After break up, she covered her life with drink and office work until late night. I was not aware of this. I tried to contact her to talk with her, but life wasn’t that simple. Not anymore.

 Before he could attack me with more humiliating words, there was another family coming to talk with Suman's family, her fiancé’s parents. They were not here for sympathy, but to end the relation that they had shaped before the month. He could not let her son marry a girl who was raped. Yeah, Suman was raped while returning from her office work and she met with a dreadful accident in escaping.
          
          No one helped her that night. Few people passed from there, and they were just watching her begging for help on the road. Her “fiancé’s father was explaining to Suman’s family why they could not go ahead with this relationship.  How can anyone do something like this? His son could not live with a girl who is raped. What would people think? Those were words of her fiancé’s parents. Those monsters gave her one scar, and because of that one scar, people were giving her another scar which was so far bigger than first one. Was that fair? What was her fault in all that? Why was she suffering? I was out of my control by thinking all this. I collected guts and raised my voice against her fiancé’s parents, “how can you do this?”  Before her fiancé’s dad could say anything to me, Suman’s dad slapped me.

Suddenly I woke up. That slap kicked me out from that horrible dream. I put both my hands on face and wiped. I thanked God that was only a dream. I dialed Suman’s number. It was just four in the morning. She cut the call. I tried again but maybe she wasn’t awake yet, or she wasn’t in the state of picking up my call. The whole day I engrossed in work.

Sometimes dreams aren’t just dreams. They are an alert alarm in our life. What I had seen was not only dream, because that’s what exactly happened very next day.

After getting slapped, I sat next to her father in the hospital. Her fiancé’s parents were gone. Her mother was sobbing and asking herself, “Who will marry my girl now?” “What will happen?” she cried out on each of her thought. I went to her and gave her shoulder for support. “I will,” I said wiping my tears. “I will,” I repeated. Her dad was not angry on me anymore; his heart was broken from inside. That was the worst day for him, for Suman’s mom, and for me. Through eyes, I asked for permission to meet Suman. He couldn’t speak anything, but his wet eyes replied. I went into the room. She was resting on bed unconsciously. I hold her hand in my hand.


“Hey dear, I am so sorry. I know, I am late to be here. You have to fight. I know you can do it. I know because I love you and so I want you to get well soon. You do not deserve this, and you will be fine soon I know, you are my heartbeat and so I don’t want to see you going away from me. Time had made us separate but I was always thinking about you. I just cannot imagine life without you and how can I? Let’s spend rest of life together. I will make you happiest woman alive. Please come back soon; your Udgam is waiting for you…”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silence Speaks

I came home with an extra pencil and eraser today, he picked me up, my dad, and put a hand on the left cheek and rubbed gently. It’s not good to take other’s thing, give it back tomorrow, he said with a loving smile. He pulled me closer, you shouldn’t do that again, he said and kissed. I was five years old. Who was I to listen to him? I was eating chocolate, looking here and there, hoping no one was watching me. How was the chocolate? He asked when I came home. Colours of happiness on my face replaced with a blank expression. He didn’t ask how I got the chocolate. He probably knew I must have stolen it from somewhere, from someone. He got angry, he wanted to slap but my mom couldn’t let him do so. I was just seven years old. He threw a few words in anger. I got more homework and no dinner. But who was I to listen to him? I was playing cricket with friends on the street. My father came from the office, watched us play for some time. He smiled and taught me the right way to d

Sshhh!!! Listen to The Silence!!!

“Nothing is impossible because impossible says I’m possible.” I heard this quote from my brother, and after that, I started thinking that, “How we can say impossible is possible? Because we can’t say silence is sound...” in some of those days, I preferred to be silent during arguments, while gossiping, when someone is talking, when the house is empty. My silence was making a   tone   of sense. I started believing that silence doesn’t make you inactive, it would be glorious if you could listen the sound of the silence. You can listen to silence and learn from it. It   has quality   and dimensions   all of its own. One of my memories that I would like to share with you, in my high school days, I was such a mischievous boy. I had made a big mischief. Like   an every   Principal, our school Principal also called my father. I was in front of my dad, worried and thinking   about   what he would say. But what happened? He didn’t say even a single word; he just gazed at me for a minute

My Guardian Angels

When your sisters leave the home, your home isn't the home. It's just a house... What brothers feel when sisters leave home after marriage... My two sisters got married a weak ago and this poem is dedicated to them. I don’t know you, who are you? I was wondering in the crib. you were taking care of me but you were also small, maybe five years? Wooo, you took me out of the crib for the first time, I hoped you wouldn’t drop me; your hands were too small to lift me. Waaa, Whaaa, I was crying as you dropped me. I’ll take revenge, I thought though I was too small to think. I started sleeping outside crib finally. I was able to know People around me now. I got to know you are my sister. We fought to have that single chocolate but at the end, you sacrificed everything to see the smile on my face. I remember my first day in the school, I cried to go to mom But you pampered me just like another mother from the God above On the day